[Chat] FW:

David O'Donaghue druben2 at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 13:55:02 EDT 2013

LYCEUM ANNOUNCEMENTS

Tuesday, May 7th. 7:30   4511 Chestnut St.

Existentialism in the Helping Professions.

We will continue reading Herbert Marcuse’s Eros and Civilization, Ch. 8.

Friday, May 10th   7:00   Parker Church  1130 Nashville

CANCELED, due to Jung meeting there

History of Spirituality in Film Series

CANCELED! CANCELED!   (remain calm, we’ll be back)

Saturday, May 11th, 10:30 am   Philocafe

New Orleans Lyceum Philo Café for Saturday, May 11, 2013 at Fairgrinds Coffeehouse, 3133 Ponce de Leon, 10:30 to 12:00.
Philosophy of Immigration: Does humanity own the earth in common? Does a nation lose legitimacy when it seeks through its laws to limit immigration in a manner beyond what it is morally entitled to?  Is citizenship in a Western liberal democracy the modern equivalent to feudal privilege?

The Morality of Migration - NYTimes.com
Immigration (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
On the Morality of Immigration
http://business.time.com/2013/04/12/why-mark-zuckerberg-is-pushing-in-immigration-reform/
Immigration reform: Getting there | The Economist

A NEW PHILOSOPHER FOR THE

PHILOSOPHY READING GROUP

PLOTINUS  (250ad)
Monday, May 13th, 7:30    4511 Chestnut  St.

Come learn about the origins of Neoplatonism which is central to much later metaphysical and Christian thinking.

We will start on “The Essential Plotinus” edited by Elmer O’’Brian. Please get this edition since it is selections from the much larger Enneads.. We will read the text together in what is called a “slow read” which is an excellent way to learn philosophy from the inside. This is an ideal time to join our group.